Re: BUG #6200: standby bad memory allocations on SELECT - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: BUG #6200: standby bad memory allocations on SELECT
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 09.09.2011 18:02, Tom Lane wrote:
> The way that I'd personally proceed to investigate it would probably be
> to change the "invalid memory alloc request size" size errors (in
> src/backend/utils/mmgr/mcxt.c; there are about four occurrences) from
> ERROR to PANIC so that they'll provoke a core dump, and then use gdb
> to get a stack trace, which would provide at least a little more
> information about what happened.  However, if you are only able to
> reproduce it in a production server, you might not like that approach.
> Perhaps you can set up an extra standby that's only there for testing,
> so you don't mind if it crashes?

If that's not possible or doesn't reproduce the issue, there's also
functions in glibc to produce a backtrace without aborting the program:
https://www.gnu.org/s/libc/manual/html_node/Backtraces.html.

I think you could also fork() + abort() to generate a core dump, not
just a backtrace.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas