Re: Explain Analyze understanding - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Explain Analyze understanding
Date
List pgsql-general
On 08/24/11 9:18 AM, Carlos Henrique Reimer wrote:
> I need to improve performance for a particular SQL command but facing
> difficulties to understand the explain results.

you're joining like 50 tables in nested selects, getting 200 rows, and
its only taking 3.5 seconds?     where's the problem?

you can paste EXPLAIN output into http://explain.depesz.com and get
output like http://explain.depesz.com/s/hfWp which helps format it for
better understanding.

in this case, most of the time (3.35s worth) appears to be spent on
sorts and an nidex scan inside an inner merge join thats processing
77000 rows.