Re: Query regarding PostGre database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Query regarding PostGre database
Date
List pgsql-general
On 08/17/11 8:52 PM, Navin Chandra wrote:
> I am an application developer, want to use ‘PostGre’ as backend.

Please note, there is no such thing as PostGre. There is PostgreSQL,
sometimes called Postgres for short.

> May I know what is the maximum possible number of concurrent users?

A better question is, whats the optimal number of concurrent query
operations that can be executed simultaneously to achieve maximum
throughput. Under most conditions, you'll get MORE queries per second
total throughput if you only try and execute between N and 2*N queries
at a time. where N is the number of CPU cores or hardware threads you
have, assuming your storage subsystem has sufficient performance for
your I/O workload.

With connecting pooling, like pg_bouncer, you could have 1000s of
concurrent users on a reasonable sized server, as long as most of them
are idle most of the time. I don't typically allow more than 100 or so
actual connections to a given SQL server if I can avoid it by the use of
pooling.