PostgreSQL fails to bind IPv6 socket at startup on AIX platform - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From CS DBA
Subject PostgreSQL fails to bind IPv6 socket at startup on AIX platform
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hi All;

we're trying to get PostgreSQL configured on an AIX box (AIX version 5).

After some digging & adding various paths to LD_LIBRARY_PATH (Thanks to
help from Tom Lane) we were able to complete the source based build.
However, when we try and start the db we get the following:

$ pg_ctl start
server starting
$ LOG:  could not bind IPv6 socket: The socket name is already in use.
HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 3116? If not, wait
a few seconds and retry.

I've verified via 'ps' that there are no postgres processes running,
also there is no postmaster.pid file present in the $PGDATA dir

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Kevin Kempter       -       Constent State
A PostgreSQL Professional Services Company
           www.consistentstate.com