Re: Bug: Buffer cache is not scan resistant - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Bug: Buffer cache is not scan resistant
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mar 6, 2007, at 10:56 AM, Jeff Davis wrote:
>> We also don't need an exact count, either. Perhaps there's some way
>> we could keep a counter or something...
>
> Exact count of what? The pages already in cache?

Yes. The idea being if you see there's 10k pages in cache, you can
likely start 9k pages behind the current scan point and still pick
everything up.

But this is nowhere near as useful as the bitmap idea, so I'd only
look at it if it's impossible to make the bitmaps work. And like
others have said, that should wait until there's at least a first-
generation patch that's going to make it into 8.3.