Re: Policy on pulling in code from other projects? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Policy on pulling in code from other projects?
Date
Re: Policy on pulling in code from other projects?
List pgsql-hackers
Arguments in favor of coding from scratch:

1) Does not introduce new dependencies into postgresql-client packages.
(note how much of a problem Readline has been)

2) keeps psql as lightweight as possible

3) We don't need to be able to parse any potential URI, just the ones we
accept.

Arguments against:

a) waste of time coding a parser

b) eventual feature creep as people ask us for more and more syntax support

Overall, though, I'd say that argument (1) against is pretty powerful.
Count the number of complaints and build bug reports about readline &
libedit on the lists.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.