Re: Questions and experiences writing a Foreign Data Wrapper - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Questions and experiences writing a Foreign Data Wrapper
Date
Re: Questions and experiences writing a Foreign Data Wrapper
List pgsql-hackers
On 20.07.2011 18:00, Albe Laurenz wrote:
> 2) If I decide to close remote database connections after
>     use, I would like to do so where reasonable.
>     I would like to keep the connection open between query
>     planning and query execution and close it when the
>     scan is done.
>     The exception could be named prepared statements.
>     Is there a way to tell if that is the case during
>     planing or execution?

Hmm, maybe you could add a hook to close the connection when the
transaction ends. But actually, you'd want to keep the connection open
across transactions too. Some sort of a general connection caching
facility would be useful for many FDW.