Understanding GIN posting trees - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Understanding GIN posting trees
Date
Re: Understanding GIN posting trees
List pgsql-hackers
I have a couple of questions on GIN:

The code seems to assume that it's possible for the same TID to appear
twice for a single key (see addItemPointersToTuple()). I understand that
it's possible for a single heap tuple to contain the same key twice. For
example if you index an array of integers like [1,2,1]. But once you've
inserted all the keys for a single heap item, you never try to insert
the same TID again, so no duplicates should occur.

Looking at the history, it looks like pre-8.4 we assumed that no such
duplicates are possible. Duplicates of a single key for one column are
eliminated in extractEntriesSU(), but apparently when the multi-column
support was added, we didn't make the de-duplication to run across the
keys extracted from all columns. Now that the posting tree/list
insertion code has to deal with duplicates anyway, the de-duplication
performed in extractEntriesSU() seems pointless. But I wonder if it
would be better to make extractEntriesSU() remove duplicates across all
columns, so that the insertion code wouldn't need to deal with duplicates.

Dealing with the duplicates in the insertion code isn't particularly
difficult. And in fact, now that we only support the getbitmap method,
we wouldn't really need to eliminate duplicates anyway. But I have an
ulterior motive:

Why is the posting tree a tree? AFAICS, we never search it using the
TID, it's always scanned in whole. It would be simpler to store the TIDs
in a posting list in no particular order. This could potentially make
insertions cheaper, as you could just append to the last posting list
page for the key, instead of traversing the posting tree to a particular
location. You could also pack the tids denser, as you wouldn't need to
reserve free space for additions in the middle.