Re: Fw: query total time im milliseconds - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Fw: query total time im milliseconds
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 11/07/2011 2:26 AM, Radhya sahal wrote:

> long startTime = System.currentTimeMillis();
> //execute query
> long executionTime = System.currentTimeMillis() - startTime;
>
> this executionTime is not an actual time for query ,
> it includes time for access to postgresql server
> using JDBC

The pg_stat_statements contrib module in PostgreSQL 8.4 and above might
be able to do what you want. See the documentation here:

   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/pgstatstatements.html

I don't think the core PostgreSQL server currently retains information
about how long the last query executed ran for.  I thought the PL/PgSQL
"GET DIAGNOSTICS" statement might be able to find out how long the last
query run within that PL/PgSQL function took, but it can't. So I think
you're out of luck for now.

PostgreSQL *CAN* log query durations to the server log, it just doesn't
(AFAIK) offer any way to find out how long the last query took from SQL
and doesn't keep that information after the statement finishes.

--
Craig Ringer

POST Newspapers
276 Onslow Rd, Shenton Park