Re: Beginner Question... - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: Beginner Question...
Date
List pgsql-novice
On 10/07/11 04:41, James David Smith wrote:
- gps_id (primary key)
- date_time
- crimes_link (foreign key)
- osgb36_geom

The data in the table involves lots of gps tracks of different
journeys. They are grouped into journeys by the 'crimes_link' field.
So for example the first 50 rows have an identical 'crimes_link'
field, then the next 50 rows a different value in 'crimes_link', then
the next 50 rows a different one, etc. What I would like to do is to
select the beginning location of each journey. This query gives me the
date_time of the beginning of the journey:

SELECT crimes_link, MIN(date_time)
FROM camdengps3
GROUP BY crimes_link;

However I need to add the osgb36_geom column into the query and am unable too.

Any ideas how to do this please?

Thank you

James Smith
Hi ,

I would recommend adding an index, as follows:

CREATE INDEX ON location(crimes_link, date_time);

I tested the followiunmg query, I and observed that the above index improves performance.  I used pg 9.1beta2, but this should also work for any pg veresion that imoplements the 'WITH' clause on 'SELECT'.

WITH
    start (crimes_link, date_time) AS
    (
        SELECT crimes_link, min(date_time)