Does pg_rman restore datafiles - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Birchall, Austen
Subject Does pg_rman restore datafiles
Date
List pgsql-novice

If anybody on this list has any expertise/experience with pg_rman I will be grateful if they can advise me on the following:

(Note I have also posted this onto the pg_rman google group):

If I create a tablespace called test then I get the following

[postgres@train03:~/datafiles/test]$ pwd

/var/lib/pgsql/datafiles/test

[postgres@train03:~/datafiles/test]$ ls -lt

total 4

drwx------. 2 postgres postgres 4096 Dec 12 15:27 PG_9.2_201204301

[postgres@train03:~/datafiles/test]$

However if I then do:

rm –rf /var/lib/pgsql/data/*

rm –rf /var/lib/pgsql/datafiles/test/*

i.e. delete the physical datafile and then do a restore from a previous back I get the below:

[postgres@train03:~/datafiles/test]$ ls -lt

total 0

[postgres@train03:~/datafiles/test]$

[postgres@train03:~/data/pg_tblspc]$ pwd

/var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_tblspc

[postgres@train03:~/data/pg_tblspc]$ ls -lt

total 0

lrwxrwxrwx. 1 postgres postgres 54 Dec 12 15:28 16410 -> /var/lib/pgsql/datafiles/test

[postgres@train03:~/data/pg_tblspc]$ ls -lt /var/lib/pgsql/datafiles/test

total 0

[postgres@train03:~/data/pg_tblspc]$

Is this expected behaviour?

Does pg_rman restore physical datafiles?

Thanks

Austen

Austen Birchall  Senior Database Administrator
Met Office
FitzRoy Road Exeter EX1 3PB United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1392 884481 Fax: +44 (0)1392 885681
E-mail: austen.birchall@metoffice.gov.uk Website: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk