Roles and passwds - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Birchall, Austen
Subject Roles and passwds
Date
List pgsql-novice

Hi

I created the following role

postgres=# create role sde LOGIN PASSWORD 'passwd' SUPERUSER NOINHERIT CREATEDB;

CREATE ROLE

postgres=#

However from the command line as the postgres user I can do

-

-bash-4.1$ psql -d testdb -U sde

psql (8.4.13)

Type "help" for help.

testdb=#

So logging on to the testdb database without entering a password.

Is this expected behaviour?

More importantly my colleague can connect to the database as the sde user via a client side GUI by entering any value in the password dialogue box.

Doing the following didn’t help:

testdb=# alter role sde  WITH PASSWORD 'passwd';

ALTER ROLE

testdb=# alter role  sde valid until 'infinity';

ALTER ROLE

How can I setup the passwd for the sde role?

Many thanks

Austen Birchall

Senior DBA

Met Office