Re: Server starts, but I can't connect - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Craigbert
Subject Re: Server starts, but I can't connect
Date
List pgsql-novice
Tom,

Thanks for replying.

Here is the log:
2011-07-05 22:58:22 CDT LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
2011-07-05 22:58:22 CDT LOG:  autovacuum launcher started
2011-07-05 22:59:33 CDT LOG:  could not receive data from client:
Connection reset by peer
2011-07-05 22:59:41 CDT FATAL:  password authentication failed for user
"postgres"
2011-07-05 22:59:41 CDT FATAL:  password authentication failed for user
"postgres"
2011-07-05 23:02:00 CDT LOG:  could not receive data from client:
Connection reset by peer
2011-07-05 23:02:01 CDT LOG:  could not receive data from client:
Connection reset by peer
2011-07-05 23:04:32 CDT LOG:  could not receive data from client:
Connection reset by peer

Here is the main part of my pg_hba.conf file:
# Database administrative login by UNIX sockets
local   all         postgres                          trust
#local   all         postgres                          ident --wcb
original line

# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD

local   all         all                               trust
# method above WAS ident --wcb
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5
# IPv6 local connections:
host    all         all         ::1/128               md5

I did a "find / -name pg_hba.conf" and this was the only file that was
found.

Based on what you are saying and the log file I have set up my
pg_hba.conf file incorrectly.

Any idea where I have gone awry?

Thanks,

Craigbert