Re: default privileges wording - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: default privileges wording
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 06/29/2011 09:20 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 8:53 PM, David Fetter<david@fetter.org>  wrote:
>> How about this?
>>
>> PostgreSQL grants some types of objects some default privileges to
>> PUBLIC.  Tables, columns, schemas and tablespaces grant no privileges
>> to PUBLIC by default.  For other types, the default privileges granted
>> to PUBLIC are as follows: CONNECT and CREATE TEMP TABLE for databases;
>> EXECUTE privilege for functions; and USAGE privilege for languages.
>> The object owner can, of course, REVOKE both default and expressly
>> granted privileges.
> That looks pretty good to me.  I'd probably say "grants default
> privileges on some types of objects" rather than "grants some types of
> objects default privileges", but YMMV.

Yeah, that sounds good. The second sentence reads oddly to me - it's not
the objects that are doing (or not doing) the granting; rather they are
the subjects of the (lack of) granted privileges. Maybe we should say:

"No privileges are granted to PUBLIC by default on tables, columns,
schemas or tablespaces."

cheers

andrew