Query to select nested comments sorted by nesting and date - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Cstdenis
Subject Query to select nested comments sorted by nesting and date
Date
List pgsql-general
I am trying to select nested comments from a table with this structure
CREATE TABLE picture_comments
(
  comment_id serial NOT NULL,
  user_id integer NOT NULL,
  "comment" text NOT NULL DEFAULT ''::text,
  comment_date timestamp without time zone NOT NULL DEFAULT now(),
  ipaddr inet NOT NULL,
  reply_to integer NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, -- ID of parent comment_id. 0 for comments that are not replies to other comments
  deleted smallint NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
  id_tree ltree NOT NULL DEFAULT ''::ltree, -- ltree structure of comment IDs 1.2.3.4, etc.
  reply_date timestamp with time zone DEFAULT now(), -- comment_date of most recent reply (of any depth under it).
  pid integer NOT NULL, -- Picture ID
}
The result needs to be sorted by date of most recent reply descending (replying bumps the thread) but also need to be sorted such that the parent/child relationships are maintained. Multiple replies on the same level also need to be sorted by date desc.

Getting the parent/child sorting can be accomplished with a simple "order by id_tree", but I can't find any way to combine that with date sorting without breaking the nesting.

What is the most efficient way of making this work? I experimented with "WITH RECURSIVE" but it won't allow me to sort until the end so it doesn't seem to help. Plus it appears to be much slower than just using the ltree (100ms for ltree based vs 1.5 seconds for WITH RECURSIVE). I could do the sorting in the php code, but it seems more efficient if I can just do it all in a single SQL query.