Re: Forward referencing of table aliases in subqueries does not work in 9.1 beta2 ( works in 9.0 and 8.4.2 ) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Forward referencing of table aliases in subqueries does not work in 9.1 beta2 ( works in 9.0 and 8.4.2 )
Date
List pgsql-general
On 20/06/11 13:59, Tom Lane wrote:
> BangarRaju Vadapalli <BangarRaju.Vadapalli@infor.com> writes:
>> The select query for creating the view is executing fine in 8.4.2. But
>> not in 9.1 beta2. The issue is forward referencing of table aliases in
>> subqueries is not working fine in 9.1 beta2.
>
> This complaint is unintelligible.  Please provide a self-contained
> test case.

In other words: Please provide details, including at least the exact
text of the error message you get when you run the query on 9.1 beta 2.

I suspect from earlier discussion off-list (while we were trying to get
any kind of info on the crash) that he's  getting the error:

  "Error: JOIN qualification cannot refer to other relations."

when executing that query, and did not get that error in earlier
versions of PostgreSQL.

Bangar Raju: If at all possible, please put together a small
self-contained .SQL file that:

- Defines a table
- Defines a view of that table
- Runs a query against that view that works on 8.4 and 9.0 but fails on
  9.1 beta 2.

As your post stands, it's very incomplete and hard to answer because the
view is complex and refers to lots of tables you haven't provided
definitions for. If you just post all your table definitions it'll
probably be too complex for anyone to be willing to investigate - for
free in their spare time, anyway. You will get the best help if you
write a better question and try to cut things out of your test view and
query until it is as simple and self-contained as possible.

When I suggested that you ask about this on-list, I didn't expect you to
re-post your question to me word-for-word. Remember, those on the list
don't have the context of our prior conversation, and even with that
(which would only tell the the missing error message) they wouldn't know
enough to be able to help you. Whenver asking for help on any mailing
list, try to read your post before clicking "send" as if you were
someone who didn't know anything about your tables, business, app,
environment, etc and only knew what you actually wrote in the email. See
if it would make sense to them. Imagine you were trying to answer the
question, as if it came from somebody else in another situation you knew
nothing about. You will quickly notice pieces of information that you
left out, like your operating system, exact database version, table
definitions, error messages, etc etc etc.

(All this is, of course, in the guide to reporting problems that I
linked to before).

--
Craig Ringer