Re: Failover Datasource? - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Bruce Adams
Subject Re: Failover Datasource?
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
I, too, would like to be able to specify multiple Postgres servers in a
JDBC connection URL. I want the client application to prefer connecting
to a master database, but automatically failover to a replica when the
master is unavailable.

Many other databases have this feature in their JDBC drivers. For
example a MySQL JDBC URL can have a comma separated list of host:port in
the URL, like this:
           jdbc:mysql://master:3306,slave:3306/databasename

Is there some other way to setup client failover?

Writings I've found for Postgres always talk about a proxy, or even
multiple proxies (!), between the Java client and the real database
servers. I'm trying to build a robust system; any additional layer is
yet another thing that can break. I don't mind having the application
see errors in a failover, I just want some measure of recovery to be
automatic, even if the automatic recovery is to a read-only replica.

I plan to use streaming replication in PostgreSQL 9.0 for the hot backup(s).

- Bruce