Re: Setting up tablepace - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Setting up tablepace
Date
List pgsql-general
On 06/15/11 3:34 AM, Malm Paul wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a problem with setting up tablespace on a ramdisk.
> the ramdisk shall be used temporary for storing unprotected map data, that is normaly protected.
>
> I'm working in Linux.
> I have an ordirnary Linux user called normaluser, a user called chartuser (the ramdisk owner, the password is not
knownto the normal users), and a ordinary postgres user.

> Chartuser and root are the only ones that has access to the ramdisk.
>
> I have succeeded to store (as normaluser) the unprotected map files on the ramdisk, only accessable for chartuser.
>
> I would now like to import the map files to a GIS db that has the tabespace on the ramdisk. But I'm not able to
createthe tablespace on the ramdisk.
> Trying logged in as chartuser to run: psql -c "CREATE TABLESPACE ramspc LOCATION '/tmp/ramdisk0/tblspace'"
>   "could not set permission on directory "/tmp/ramdisk0/tblspace": premission denied"...

I hope you drop this tablespace and everything in it before
rebooting...  and that your system never reboots unexpectedly....

that said, its the postgres server process that needs write access to
create the tablespace.  I'd create a directory in the ramdisk called
pgsql or something, chown postgres && chmod 700, then put your
tablespace in that.