Re: psql reports back wrong number of affected rows. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From erwin@darwine.nl
Subject Re: psql reports back wrong number of affected rows.
Date
List pgsql-general
On 6/14/2011 5:05 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Erwin Moller<erwinmoller@xs4all.nl>  writes:
>> Then:
>> delete from tblissue where issueid=1;
>> DELETE 1
>> Postgresql now deletes all rows that had a 1 for parentissueid. (5 in my
>> testcase).
>> That was correct, and as I intended, but why does Postgres answer
>> "DELETE 1" instead of DELETE 6?
> It's reporting the number of rows deleted from tblissue.

Hi,

But I deleted 6 from tblissue  in my example.
(1 directly, the other 5 by cascade)
Hence my confusion.

>   Cascade
> effects are not relevant.

Ok, clear.
So the number of deleted rows (DELETE x) are only the ones that directly
matched the ones in the where-clause.

I suspected that much, but it is better to check. :-)

Thanks for your time, Tom

Regards,
Erwin Moller