Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please ! - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From damien clochard
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please !
Date
Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please !
List pgsql-advocacy
Le 09/06/2011 23:45, Josh Berkus a écrit :
> Damien,
>
>> They are free because the specific sponsor that you found requires US
>> Letter format.  Maybe for the next issues, once we have an economic
>> model, then we will find sponsors that can pay for A4 format printing.
>> Do you think it's possible or am i daydreaming ? :-)
>
> It's possible, but you're *always* going to have a use for that $800 to
> $2000 you'd spend on printing if we could get it printed for free.
> Besides ...

I understand perfectly but look at the situation the other way around :
if the magazine was in US Letter format, then the rest-of-the-world
would have to pay an expensive price to print it. From your point of
view, Letter format is cheaper. But from a global perspective it would
be more expensive.

>> I don't think that you can give this magazine just like you give away
>> leaflets or flyers. The magazine should be free, but not given to
>> everyone. I mean you don't give 24 pages of paper to a guy that will
>> throw it before the end of the day.
>
> Sure.  But $7 each is on the same scale as a t-shirt.  I'd like to get
> it down to $3 each (or free in the US).  At that level, I can give one
> to every MIS or CTO or DBA I meet who is seriously interested in PostgreSQL.
>
> As an example, we had some nice PostgreSQL USB drives made. But they
> ended up costing us $8 each.  Which we then couldn't justify giving out
> for free.  As a result, we sat on them for over a year and didn't give
> *any* of them out.  I'd like to avoid repeating that with the magazine.

I've been there too :) My conclusion is that when we decide that some
goodies are free, then we should give them all out. Regardless how much
they cost. Like you said the worst thing is to sat on them...

Afterwards you can judge that it was a "bad idea"(tm) and decide you
won't do it again. But during the booth i think it's better not to raise
such questions. That's just not the right place and time.

>> a) I am ok to reformat the magazine for you. I just said that i can't do
>> it before june 18th. Btw you never gave your deadline.
>
> Biggest deadline would be getting them printed in time for OSCON.  June
> 18th would be in plenty of time for that.

ok

>> c) I am not pitching a fit to you. I am just discussing about trademarks
>> issues, format possibilities and other questions that are raised by what
>> you are asking
>
> Right, this started with you saying that you didn't want me using the
> name "PostgreSQL Magazine" if I reformatted it US Letter.

What is said was : **if possible**, i **would like** that **any fork**
change their name. Then I repeated that it wasn't a strong opinion and
that i was ok if you don't follow my view.

Call that "pitching a fit" if you want... :D

>> Like i said, you can't have "easy + cheap + classy". At least for this
>> demo issue. For the next ones, we will try to ease format transformation.
>>
>> For now, if you want the US Letter version to be as good as the original
>> version, than each page needs to be revamped. This is not trivial. I
>> think it would take between 30 minutes and 2 hours.
>
> That actually sound pretty easy to me ... ah.  You mean 2 hours per
> page?  Huh.  Seems like most of the pages would be easier than that,
> there's just a few with bleeds to edge which would be painful.
>
> Of course, I've never designed anything bigger than a flyer with
> Scribus, maybe it's really difficult to use.

Scribus is not difficult. You would have the very same problem with
InDesign or Quark, really. Ask any layout editor you can find, the page
format is a key parameter. You don't jump from one to another like that.

The problem we face here (providing a magazine in multiple page format)
is complex. There's a reason why professional magazines don't do it.

Just try for yourself if you don't believe me...

> BTW, you should maybe try redoing the EU flyers around some of our flyer
> designs here.  We do some pretty professional-looking flyers in the US.

I didn't see that one coming :)

Actually, most of the time i would use Inkscape for flyers, precisely
because scalable documents are a dream if you have to deal with multiple
formats... Anyway i'm interested by your scribus flyers, where can i
find them ?

--
damien clochard
dalibo.com | dalibo.org