Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please ! - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please !
Date
Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please !
List pgsql-advocacy
Damien,

> They are free because the specific sponsor that you found requires US
> Letter format.  Maybe for the next issues, once we have an economic
> model, then we will find sponsors that can pay for A4 format printing.
> Do you think it's possible or am i daydreaming ? :-)

It's possible, but you're *always* going to have a use for that $800 to
$2000 you'd spend on printing if we could get it printed for free.
Besides ...

> I don't think that you can give this magazine just like you give away
> leaflets or flyers. The magazine should be free, but not given to
> everyone. I mean you don't give 24 pages of paper to a guy that will
> throw it before the end of the day.

Sure.  But $7 each is on the same scale as a t-shirt.  I'd like to get
it down to $3 each (or free in the US).  At that level, I can give one
to every MIS or CTO or DBA I meet who is seriously interested in PostgreSQL.

As an example, we had some nice PostgreSQL USB drives made. But they
ended up costing us $8 each.  Which we then couldn't justify giving out
for free.  As a result, we sat on them for over a year and didn't give
*any* of them out.  I'd like to avoid repeating that with the magazine.

> In a nutshell, my goal is not print as many magazine as possible and
> give them out to anybody. That would be a terrible waste of paper. I
> prefer printing less copies, with a high-end look and feel, and give to
> people that will actually read it.

What I'm pointing out is that 100 is not enough in the US.  We'd need
200 to 300, which is $2000 if we print them A4, but only $700 or so if
we print them US Letter.  That's a pretty substantial difference.

> a) I am ok to reformat the magazine for you. I just said that i can't do
> it before june 18th. Btw you never gave your deadline.

Biggest deadline would be getting them printed in time for OSCON.  June
18th would be in plenty of time for that.

> c) I am not pitching a fit to you. I am just discussing about trademarks
> issues, format possibilities and other questions that are raised by what
> you are asking

Right, this started with you saying that you didn't want me using the
name "PostgreSQL Magazine" if I reformatted it US Letter.

> Like i said, you can't have "easy + cheap + classy". At least for this
> demo issue. For the next ones, we will try to ease format transformation.
>
> For now, if you want the US Letter version to be as good as the original
> version, than each page needs to be revamped. This is not trivial. I
> think it would take between 30 minutes and 2 hours.

That actually sound pretty easy to me ... ah.  You mean 2 hours per
page?  Huh.  Seems like most of the pages would be easier than that,
there's just a few with bleeds to edge which would be painful.

Of course, I've never designed anything bigger than a flyer with
Scribus, maybe it's really difficult to use.

BTW, you should maybe try redoing the EU flyers around some of our flyer
designs here.  We do some pretty professional-looking flyers in the US.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.