Re: could not truncate directory "pg_serial": apparent wraparound - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: could not truncate directory "pg_serial": apparent wraparound
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> I've committed your patch for now.
Thanks!
I don't see it yet on the public git repo, nor on the -commiters
list.  I'll keep an eye out for it.
> as far as I can see it's harmless except for the small waste of
> disk space. We probably want to revisit this later, maybe still
> for 9.1 or maybe not, but for now I just put in a comment about
> it.
I'm inclined to think it's not worth the trouble to revisit it.  At
most it would be one segment.  In fact, in line with your desire to
flush the SLRU pages so they're useful for debugging, we could call
this a feature -- it provides a quick way to check the date and time
of the last need for SLRU summarization.  I can see that being a
useful piece of information for forensics.
-Kevin