Re: storing TZ along timestamps - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Steve Crawford
Subject Re: storing TZ along timestamps
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 05/27/2011 04:29 PM, Greg Stark wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Steve Crawford
> <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com>  wrote:
>> I am very interested in the use-case for this (in part as I'm working on a
>> PG related time talk). My experience thus far is that people who want this
>> do not fully understand the nature of date-time calculations and variables
>> in PG.
> The use cases I recall having been mentioned in the past were accurate
> data retention and calendaring applications.
>
> Accurate data retention for things like drug trials need to guarantee
> they retain precisely what the user entered, not an equivalent value.
> If you run a report on a drug trial you need to see that the event was
> recorded as occuring at 1:00pm EST not 6:00pm GMT even if you happen
> to run the report in London.
>
> And calendaring apps want to know what timezone is attached to an
> event, not only the point in time at which it occurs. If your plane
> flight departs at 12:00pm GMT and lands at 2:00pm EST you need to know
> that to book your taxi at 2:30pm EST -- not 7:30pm GMT.
>
> Both of these two cases can be handled differently. The former by
> storing the raw text inputs and then storing the interpreted value as
> a derived column separetly, and the latter by storing the local time
> zone to use for display as an additional attribute along with the
> local address and other attributes of the calendar event.

So the proposed change does not handle the first case as you need to
capture the raw input.

And the second case is already well handled. In fact calendaring is a
great example. I enter the time for the teleconference and PG nicely
uses my default timezone to store the point-in-time. When you retrieve
it, it is shown in your timezone and we both pick up the phone at the
correct time. And if I know I'll be somewhere else at that time, I just
ask for the data in that zone. Altering the data type gains nothing.

Cheers,
Steve