Re: PostgreSQL 8.4.8 bringing my website down every evening - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 8.4.8 bringing my website down every evening
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/26/2011 02:53 AM, tv@fuzzy.cz wrote:

> Decrease the max_connections, use connection pooling if possible (e.g.
> pgbouncer). Each connection represents a separate postgres process, so you
> may get up to 512 processes. And that many active processes kills the
> performance.

... and this is why it'd be great to see pooling-by-default in Pg, be it
integrated PgPool or something else. For every person making the effort
to ask on the mailing list, how many give up and go away?

Yes, I know it's not exactly easy to integrate pooling, and that there
are real disagreements about pooling vs admission control.

--
Craig Ringer