Re: Access to postgres conversion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Access to postgres conversion
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/25/11 12:42 PM, akp geek wrote:
> Dear all -
>
>             I would like to know if any one has migrated database from
> MS access to Postgres . We use postgres 9.0.2 on solaris . Are there
> any open source tools that you have used to do this task. Can you
> please share your experiences ?

how many tables is this database?  is there more to it than just
tables?  (Access isn't really a database, its a data-centric rapid
application development system).  postgres won't do the reports, forms,
macros, etc (ok, it has user definable procedures/functions, but they
aren't in vbasic, and they don't work anything like access programs do).

if its just a few tables, it might just be easiest to dump those tables
as CSV files, then import them one by one into equivalent tables in
postgres via COPY FROM