Re: Preventing OOM kills - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Preventing OOM kills
Date
Re: Preventing OOM kills  (Marco Colombo <pgsql@esiway.net>)
List pgsql-general
On 05/24/11 5:50 PM, Andrej wrote:
> Add more RAM?  Look at tunables for other processes on
> the machine?  At the end of the day making the kernel shoot
> anything out of despair shouldn't be the done thing.

somehow, 'real' unix has neither a OOMkiller nor does it flat out die
under heavy loads, it just degrades gracefully.  I've seen Solaris and
AIX and BSD servers happily chugging along with load factors in the
100s, significant portions of memory paging, etc, without completely
crumbling to a halt.    Soimetimes I wonder why Linux even pretends to
support virtual memory, as you sure don't want it to be paging.