Re: PostgreSQL and SSIS - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: PostgreSQL and SSIS
Date
List pgsql-general
On 24/05/11 04:38, Bailey, Rick wrote:

> On the Windows Server 2008R2 machine, I installed 64 bit Postgres ODBC
> drivers and found that I could not see them when creating an ADO.net
> connection manager in BIDS.

"BIDS" appears to be the Microsoft "Business Intelligence Development
Studio," an add-on to Visual Studio 2008. Correct?

> A bit of googling later, I removed the 64
> bit drivers and installed 32-bit Postgres ODBC drivers and set up DSNs
> usning windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe.  When setting up the DSNs,
> clicking the test button returned 'Connection successful'.

Yep, that's the right approach if it's a 32-bit client program. I doubt
you need to uninstall the 64-bit drivers but it probably won't hurt.

> My question is why can it not return the list of tables, but it can
> return data.

Honestly, I haven't the foggiest. Without access to BIDS it's kind of
hard to test.

You're saying this all worked before on a 2k3 (32-bit) server with SQL
Server 2005 where all the other software was the same. Correct? So the
_only_ changes are win2k3 -> win2k8 and ms-sql 2005 -> ms-sql 2008?

I'd like to be able to help you, but have never used ADO or ADO.NET in
my life, and only have a minimal knowledge of ODBC. If I had to debug
this, I'd be using process monitor to track the low-level activity,
wireshark to track network chat, and the postgresql server logs (set to
log all queries) to compare the queries from the old and new clients and
see if anything was different. I'd also be comparing the ODBC DSN settings.

--
Craig Ringer