Re: Infinity dates in RoR was How to handle bogus nulls from ActiveRecord - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Infinity dates in RoR was How to handle bogus nulls from ActiveRecord
Date
List pgsql-general
On 18/05/2011 4:02 AM, James B. Byrne wrote:

> On Fri, May 13, 2011 13:04, James B. Byrne wrote:
>>
>> I have opened an issue for this with the ActiveRecord folks.
>>
>> https://github.com/rails/rails/issues/544
>>

> This has been addressed by the AR team and is committed to master.
> +-Infinity support for dates is slated for general release with
> RoR-3.0.8.

... now if only Java would support infinite dates, too. Alas, unlike
RoR, I doubt there'll be a quick "we've fixed this, grab the next point
release" post for Java.

Not even the 3rd party JodaTime date/time library supports infinite
intervals, the +infinity date, etc, so I have to represent unbounded
intervals with some distant future date, or use null. Neither option is
very palatable.

--
Craig Ringer