Re: Fix for pg_upgrade user flag - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Fix for pg_upgrade user flag
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Bruce Momjian  wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian  writes:
>>> One question I have is why we even bother to allow the database
>>> username to be specified? Shouldn't we just hard-code that to
>>> 'postgres'?
>>
>> Only if you want to render pg_upgrade unusable by a significant
>> fraction of people. "postgres" is not the hard wired name of the
>> bootstrap superuser.
>
> I was really wondering if I should be using that hard-coded name,
> rather than allowing the user to supply it. They have to compile in
> a different name, and I assume that name is accessible somewhere.
At home, on my ubuntu machine, I built and ran initdb without
specifying a superuser.  It used my OS login of "kevin".  Then,
test=# \du                            List of rolesRole name |                   Attributes                   | Member
of
-----------+------------------------------------------------+--------
---kevin     | Superuser, Create role, Create DB, Replication | {}

test=# create user xxx superuser;
CREATE ROLE
test=# \c test xxx
You are now connected to database "test" as user "xxx".
test=# alter user kevin rename to yyy;
ALTER ROLE
test=# \du                            List of rolesRole name |                   Attributes                   | Member
of
---xxx       | Superuser, Replication                         | {}yyy       | Superuser, Create role, Create DB,
Replication| {}

If I run pg_upgrade now, what will it pick?  How?
-Kevin