Re: Predicate locking - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Predicate locking
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> I don't think Vlad is being unreasonable here; he's provided a
>> test case demonstrating the behavior he'd like to see, and shown
>> it doesn't work as expected.
>>

> ... on a toy table with contrived values.  How different is this
> from the often-asked question about why a query against a four-line
> table is not using the index they expect, and how can we expect it
> to scale if it doesn't?

It's not, but in that case I've been known to show someone that the
behavior they're seeing doesn't happen on a larger table.  My point was
just that no one has really done that here yet:  provided an example
showing SSI serialization working as a substitute for predicate locking
in this sort of use case.  I trust that the theory is sound here, and
yet I'd still like to see that demonstrated.  This is why I launched
into making a less trivial test case.