Re: "stored procedures" - use cases? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: "stored procedures" - use cases?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> These don't seem like compelling use cases at all to me. You said you
> had to fall back to using a python script outside the database, but
> what disadvantage does that have? Why is moving your application logic
> into the database an improvement?

Since both were part of a code rollout, it complicated our deployment
process considerably and took a deployment which could have been
push-button automatic and forced us to do it by manually logging into
the shell on the database server.

>  Trying to move all the
> code into the database just makes life harder.

I might make *your* life harder.  It makes *mine* easier.

If you pursue your argument a little further, Greg, why do we have
functions at all?  We could do it all in the application.

> Autonomous transactions have value on their own. But it's not so that
> you can run create index ocncurrently or vacuum or whatever.

Why not?  Why are you so intent on making my life harder?

> They're
> useful so that a single session can do things like log errors even
> when a transaction rolls back.

That's *also* an excellent use case.

--
Josh Berkus