Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: setlocale() on Windows doesn't work correctly if the locale name - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: setlocale() on Windows doesn't work correctly if the locale name
Date
Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: setlocale() on Windows doesn't work correctly if the locale name  (Hiroshi Inoue <inoue@tpf.co.jp>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 20.04.2011 06:48, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> I can find no concrete reference to problems about locale
>   names containing dots. Is the following an example?

Yes.

> In my environment (Windows Vista using VC8)
>
>    setlocale(LC_XXXX, "Chinese (Traditional)_MCO.950");
> works and
>    setlocale(LC_XXXX, NULL);
> returns
>    Chinese (Traditional)_Macao S.A.R..950

Interesting. According to Microsoft's documentation, the codes are
three-letter country codes specified by ISO-3166
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cdax410z%28v=VS.100%29.aspx).
However, according to Wikipedia, MCO stands for Monaco, not Macau
(https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-3).

So according to bug #5818, the problem with "People's Republic of China"
was different from "Hong Kong S.A.R.", "Macau S.A.R.", and "U.A.E.".
setlocale() handles apostrophe fine, but it's not escaped correctly in
the BKI file. I'll remove the "People's Republic of China" -> "China"
mapping I committed, and fix the escaping instead.