Re: Help - corruption issue? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: Help - corruption issue?
Date
List pgsql-general
Dne 18.4.2011 20:27, Phoenix Kiula napsal(a):

>>> What am I to do now? Even reindex is not working. I can try to drop
>>> indexes and create them again. Will that help?
>>
>> It might help, but as someone already pointed out, you're running a
>> version that's 3 years old. So do a hot file backup (stop the db and copy
>> the data directory to another machine), check the hardware (especially the
>> RAID controller and RAM), upgrade to the latest 8.2.x version and then try
>> again.
>>
>> I'll post a bit more info into the other thread, as it's related to the
>> reindex performance and not to this issue.
>>
>> regards
>> Tomas
>
> Thanks. For CentOS (RedHat?) the latest is 8.2.19 right? Not the
> 8.2.20 that's mentioned on front page of PG.org.

Centos is probably a bit delayed behind the source version. If you want
to stick with the binary version, go with the 8.2.19.

> http://www.pgrpms.org/8.2/redhat/rhel-4-i386/repoview/
>
> Question:  will upgrading from 8.2.9 to 8.2.19 have some repercussions
> in terms of huge changes or problems?

Those minor versions are mostly bugfixes and small improvements. So no,
I wouldn't expect huge problems.

> I know 9.x had some new additions including "casting" etc (or is that
> irrelevant to me?) but if 8.2.19 is safe in terms of not requiring
> anything new from my side, then I can do the upgrade quickly.

Don't do that right now. When doing 'minor' upgrades, you don't need to
dump/restore the database - you can just replace the binaries and it
should work as the file format does not change between minor versions
(and 8.2.9 -> 8.2.19 is a minor upgrade).

Still, do the file backup as described in the previous posts. You could
even do an online backup using pg_backup_start/pg_backup_stop etc.

To upgrade from 8.2 to 9.0 you'd need to do pg_dump backup and then
restore the database. Which is of scope right now, I guess.