Re: Changed SSL Certificates - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Changed SSL Certificates
Date
List pgsql-general
On 04/08/2011 09:42 AM, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> I had self signed SSL certificates on my database server but since
> then removed them and received updated certificates from the security
> team. I removed (backedup) the old server.crt&  server.key and now
> have db1_ssl.crt&  db1_ssl.key in the identical location as the old
> SSL certificates. I then went to /etc/postgres/8.4/main and removed
> the old symbolic links for the old certificates and generated new
> symbolic links:
>
> ln -s /etc/ssl/certs/db1_ssl.crt db1_ssl.crt
> ln -s /etc/ssl/private/db1_ssl.key db1_ssl.key
>
> I then restarted PostgreSQL and got the following error:
>
> 2011-04-08 09:54:34 EDT FATAL:  could not load server certificate file
> "server.crt": No such file or directory
> 2011-04-08 10:00:43 EDT FATAL:  could not load server certificate file
> "server.crt": No such file or directory
>
> I looked for anywhere else in /var/lib/postgres/&  /etc/postgres/ but
> can't find anything else that's calling the old certificates. I
> changed the ownership on the certificates and symbolic links to either
> root or postgres and nothing worked. It fails to start with the
> following error:
>

> root@db1:/# /etc/init.d/postgresql start
> Starting PostgreSQL 8.4 database server: mainThe PostgreSQL server
> failed to start. Please check the log output: 2011-04-08 12:36:54 EDT
> FATAL: could not load server certificate file "server.crt": No such
> file or directory ... failed!
>
> I checked the documentation page:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/libpq-ssl.html
>
> Table 30-4. Libpq/Client SSL File Usage
>
> File    Contents    Effect
> ~/.postgresql/postgresql.crt    client certificate    requested by server
> ~/.postgresql/postgresql.key    client private key    proves client
> certificate sent by owner; does not indicate certificate owner is
> trustworthy
> ~/.postgresql/root.crt    trusted certificate authorities    checks server
> certificate is signed by a trusted certificate authority
> ~/.postgresql/root.crl    certificates revoked by certificate
> authorities    server certificate must not be on this list
>
> Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or missing here? I can't
> disable SSL per DoD requirements sadly.

Per here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/ssl-tcp.html
File    Contents    Effect
server.crt    server certificate    requested by client
server.key    server private key    proves server certificate sent by owner;
does not indicate certificate owner is trustworthy
root.crt    trusted certificate authorities    checks that client certificate
is signed by a trusted certificate authority
root.crl    certificates revoked by certificate authorities    client
certificate must not be on this list

Rename your certs to above.

--
Adrian Klaver