Re: DB Import Error... - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: DB Import Error...
Date
List pgsql-admin
"Gnanakumar" <gnanam@zoniac.com> wrote:

>> The recommended upgrade technique is to us pg_dump (or
>> pg_dumpall) from the newer version (9.0.3 in this case) to access
>> the old database (running the 8.2.3 server in this case).  If you
>> followed some other procedure, like using the 8.2.3 software to
>> dump the database, you should try the recommended approach
>> instead.

> Before trying out to use pg_dump from the newer version (9.0.3 in
> this case), I analyzed (.sql dump file) to my knowledge on what's
> going wrong.

> What I could infer from this based on my knowledge is that the FK
> constraints are dropped from the table but its associated
> constraint triggers are not dropped properly.
>
> How do I resolve/clean-up our database at this stage?

If you're upgrading to 9.0, I would start by following the
recommended upgrade procedure and seeing whether these problems then
exist in the new database.  Fixing old issues like this is one big
reason for using the newer version of pg_dump.

-Kevin