Compiling a static libpq - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Julia Jacobson
Subject Compiling a static libpq
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dear PostgreSQL developers,

After having done extensive web search and not found anybody to solve
the problem of interest on the general PostgreSQL mailing list, in the
PostgreSQL newsgroup on usenet or on the PostgreSQL IRC channel, I would
like to ask you how to compile a static libpq working without a dynamic
libpq.
So far, I've compiled libpq (from PostgreSQL version 8.4.6, 8.4.7 and
9.0.3) on my own under Linux (Ubuntu 10.4), Mac OS X 10.4 and Windows 7
using GCC.
Indeed, I always succeeded in producing libpq.a, but linking this
library to a minimal application resulted in a program which only ran
with libpq.dylib (libpq.dll or libpq.so - depending on the platform)
being present and not without it.
It seems like the libpq.a produced by compiling PostgreSQL with
"./configure" and "make" still imports the dynamic libpq.
Is there a way to get rid of the dependence on the dynamic libpq library
in PostgreSQL client applications?

Thanks in advance,
Julia