Re: Access to NEW.column outside of a trigger function. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Darren Duncan
Subject Re: Access to NEW.column outside of a trigger function.
Date
List pgsql-general
From a design standpoint, CHECK constraints are better than triggers in
general, and if it is possible to do what you want in a CHECK constraint, you
should choose that option, and leave triggers for other tasks that you can't use
CHECK for.

Or to put this a different way, triggers are the proper way to do
non-deterministic things such as constraints or actions that depend on the
current system time, while CHECK is better for deterministic things such as
constraints a database should always have that only require looking at the
contents of the database itself.

-- Darren Duncan

Gauthier, Dave wrote:
> Ya, I know I could pass them in.  Just wanted to know if they were already floating around out there as globals or
something. That way I wouldn't have to drop/recreate the constraint itself.

> These would be constraint violations where the name of the constraint being violated is in the returned message
(shouldthere be a violation).  I named the constraints to identify the column and describe the nature of the problem.
Notsure how to capture that info if the trigger disallowed the value.

> Also, I need to defer constraint checking for some transactions.  Making the trigger sensitive to this deferral is
notsomething that I wanted to devote a lot of time to.  It just seemed more natural to keep this as a check constraint.