Re: SSI bug? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: SSI bug?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane  wrote:
> There might perhaps be some value in adding a warning like this if
> it were enabled per-table (and not enabled by default).
It only fires where a maximum has been declared and is exceeded.
Most HTABs don't declare a maximum -- they leave it at zero.  These
are ignored.  Where this fires on a table in shared memory, we're
into a situation where the over-allocation to one table may cause
failure in an unrelated area.  If we're not going to change that,
some indication of which one actually exceeded its limits seems like
a helpful bit of diagnostic information.
> But I'd want to see a specific reason for it, not just "let's see
> if we can scare users with a WARNING appearing out of nowhere".
Perhaps LOG would be more appropriate than WARNING?
-Kevin