Re: Query with time zone offset but without seconds - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Crawford
Subject Re: Query with time zone offset but without seconds
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/25/2011 10:05 AM, Marco wrote:
> I have a column »timestamp with time zone«. I want to extract the date/time in
> a different format including the time zone offset in a query but without
> seconds. If I do
>
>    select to_char(datetime, 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI') from table;
>
> then the time zone offset is missing in the output: 2011-03-25 18:01
> If I do
>
>    select date_trunc( 'minute', datetime) from table;
>
> then the time zone offset is present, but the seconds are not removed:
> 2011-03-25 18:01:00+01
>
> I want it to look like this: 2011-03-25 18:01+01
>
> How to do that?
>

> Marco

There are the TZ and tz formats but they return abbreviated names, not
offsets. It's a tiny kludge, but this should do what you want:
to_char(now(), 'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM') || to_char(extract(timezone_hour from
now()), 'S09')

This is based on the assumption that you will never have to deal with
timezones that have other than whole-hour offsets:
select * from pg_timezone_names where utc_offset::text !~ '00:00';

Cheers,
Steve