Re: Database Design for Components and Interconnections - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andy Colson
Subject Re: Database Design for Components and Interconnections
Date
List pgsql-general

>> You may, or may not, want a top level table:
>>
>> create table chips
>> (
>>     chipid serial,
>>     descr text
>> );
>>
> Yes, I see great value in a top level component table.  I am not sure how to
> handle multiple instances of the same type of chip in different services.  I
> think the idea is to give each instance a unique service description and or
> tag number to tell them apart.  I don't want to use a description as a
> differentiator as several components may contribute to, say, different parts
> of an output function.
>
> I see 'chips' as a catalogue.  I may use 2 of these, 4 of those on this
> particular design.  Another design might have a different mix.  When a
> concern comes up with a particular chip used in different designs, it would
> be handy to identify all the designs that used that chip.  It would also be
> useful to keep track of different versions of that chip.
>
> Chips have package designs, they may have pins, flats, tabs, etc.  They
> package they may have cooling requirements, mounting options, inventory
> status, suppliers, etc.  Depending upon the particular application, package
> types may be coordinated.

Yeah, maybe chip was a bad name.

>> -- Then we will create alternate designs for each chip
>> create table designs
>> (
>>     did serial,
>>     chipid integer,
>>     compid integer
>> );
> I did not even consider the idea of a 'design' table.  This will provide a
> catalogue of implementations and a great study object.  I do not know what
> compid is and I would expect to include interconnections in the design.
> Design may be for a particular application, study branches, customers, etc.
>

>> -- The list of components
>> create table components
>> (
>>     cid serial,
>>     descr text,  -- dunno if you want this, or maybe model #....
>>     voltage float  -- dunno... maybe
>> );
> I think this is a design component table; components used in a specific
> design.  Is that the intent?  I would think this table should link to the
> chip catalogue.

See below

>> -- Each component has interconnects
>> create table interconnects
>> (
>>     iid serial,
>>     cid integer,   -- component
>>     input bool,    -- is there a different set
>>             --- of input and output interconnects?
>>     pintype integer, -- dunno, something describing the connection
>>     maxlength integer
>> );
> Each pin might have a connection which could be in or out and it might be
> power or signal, even type(s) of signal.
>

>> Now lets create some data:
>>
>> insert into chips(descr) values ('math co-processor for 80386');
>>
>> -- design one has two components
>> insert into designs(chipid, compid) values (1, 1);
> I think we want cid rather than compid above, and similaryly below.  I am
> guessing that this insert automatically gets a serial key generated.

As you can see my naming convention was not very good.
And yes, a serial is an auto-inc column, if you dont specify it, it'll be generated for you.

> I have a general question.  I see that you consistently use very short
> abbreviations such as did and cid.  I have used short, medium and long.
> Short are great for inputting but I am always looking up what my
> abbreviations are.  This has been difficult as I have never had an efficient
> way to look them up.  Medium gives me a hint as to what the meaning is but I
> often get the spelling wrong since there is no consistency in how I shorten
> names.  Long names with prefixes and suffixes are easily recognized but
> lengthy to input.  With the write editor, auto completion might over com
> some on the time consumption.
>
> How do you manage this?  Just good memory?
>
> Regards,
> ray

With simple databases I keep the names simple.  When they get more complex I name the columns more complex.  I started
withcid, but then changed to compid and chipid, but, of course, forgot to change some.

You also have to worry about your users.  I have a payroll database, and I'm the only one who really writes code for
it,so names are a little more terse.  I have a much bigger database, with lots of end users who are not programmers...
soI make the names much more descriptive.  Most of the time, I choose names just long enough to be unique.

Most of the problem with my layout is lack of understanding of your terminology.  Hopefully it gets my ideas across
aboutsplitting up the tables.  (You can safely assume I dont know anything about EE... cuz I dont :-) )

-Andy