Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: If recovery_target_timeline is set to 'latest' and standby mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: If recovery_target_timeline is set to 'latest' and standby mode
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 07.03.2011 21:20, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 20:16, Heikki Linnakangas
> <heikki.linnakangas@iki.fi>  wrote:
>> If recovery_target_timeline is set to 'latest' and standby mode is enabled,
>> periodically rescan the archive for new timelines, while waiting for new WAL
>> segments to arrive. This allows you to set up a standby server that follows
>> the TLI change if another standby server is promoted to master. Before this,
>> you had to restart the standby server to make it notice the new timeline.
>
> Can we make recovery_target_timeline='latest' the default when we are
> in standby mode?  That would suddenly make it a lot easier to "repoint> a slave" after a switchover...

Hmm, seems reasonable. 'latest' is what you usually want, at least in
standby mode. Though it would be strange to have a different default
depending on the value of another setting. Maybe we should change the
default regardless of standby_mode?

Wë́'d need a magic value to mean the current default behavior, to recover
to the current timeline. 'current'?