Re: script errors or PEBKAC? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: script errors or PEBKAC?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/04/2011 07:48 AM, Thufir Hawat wrote:
> I cannot get the script here:
>
> https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5hKxkS1VyAxOGMzZjY4ZjktZjZkOS00Zjc3LWExYmEtYTU3ZThjYzZiMjk3&hl=en
>
> to run correctly.  Looking at the output, many, many, errors, it seems
> to assume tables exist which don't. Is that correct?

Actually no. The tables do exist but they have dependencies:

ERROR:  cannot drop table izposoja because other objects depend on it
DETAIL:  constraint fk_knjiga_i_relations_izposoja on table
knjiga_izposoja depends on table izposoja
HINT:  Use DROP ... CASCADE to drop the dependent objects too.

The script is trying to DROP the table but cannot as CASCADE was not
included in the DROP statement. This is repeated for other tables also.
This accounts for some of the errors. The rest seem to follow from this.
The tables are not dropped but then data is put into them that conflicts
the pre-existing data.

> The script is supposed to create a database, but it seems to assume that
> the schema is already there and configured?

If it is supposed to create a database it is doing it on one that exists
already, which this script is unable to handle. Without seeing the
actual script it hard to say exactly why.

> Or, maybe I'm not running it correctly?

Yes:)

--
Adrian Klaver