Re: distinguishing identical columns after joins - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Stephen Cook
Subject Re: distinguishing identical columns after joins
Date
List pgsql-sql
In times like these, I usually write a query using
information_schema.columns to generate the column list:

SELECT  ordinal_position,        1 AS table_instance,        'a.' || column_name || ' AS ' || column_name || '_a,'
FROM    INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS
WHERE   TABLE_NAME = 'your_table_here'
UNION ALL
SELECT  ordinal_position,        2 AS table_instance,        'b.' || column_name || ' AS ' || column_name || '_b,'
FROM    INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS
WHERE   TABLE_NAME = 'your_table_here'
ORDER BY table_instance,        ordinal_position;

Or something along those lines, and copy-and-paste the results into the
query. It's quicker than typing them all out once you hit a certain
number of columns, and certainly less typo-prone.

It's not the shortcut you were thinking of but it works.