Re: slow building index and reference after Sybase to Pg - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andy Colson
Subject Re: slow building index and reference after Sybase to Pg
Date
List pgsql-general

> Here are the more test results on the 3rd ref and parallel on 2nd and
> 3rd references:
>
> 325 mins on FK_FM_ALL_REF_FILE (334 mins previous)
>
> parallel results on 2nd and 3rd references: (much worse on 2nd ref)
>

> Here are some information on my system:
>
> 1:07pm 20 gfu@moddblads:/dump/gfu> free -m (48MB of memory)
> total used free shared buffers cached
> Mem: 48036 47867 168 0 294 46960
>
> 1:08pm 21 gfu@moddblads:/dump/gfu> hinv
> Total CPU's: 24
> Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5660 @ 2.80GHz 2793 MHZ
> Cache Size: 12288 KB

Huh.  Dunno.  Ah, how about locks?

while its building a reference, look at pg_locks (select * from pg_locks).

Looking at the build times:
 > 610 mins on FK_EXPORT_FILES_REF_FILE (??? almost double the time)
 > 340 mins on FK_FM_ALL_REF_FILE

looks like the first one ran and the second waited for it to complete
before it ran.

Are those two touching the same tables?

-Andy