From Oliver Jowett
Subject Re: ResultSet.getClob() causing problems when used with JPA's @Lob
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:

> I hear over and over that PGs JDBC-driver wants to map CLOBs to OIDs but there really doesn't seem to be any good
reasonsfor it

It's mostly there for historical reasons - IIRC it dates back to the
early 7.x days when you *had* to use LOs to store large data, because
there was no such thing as the "text" or "bytea" type. There's really
not much reason to use it in new code these days, as I said. But there's
also not much reason to arbitrarily break compatibility with existing
code that assumes the current behavior, just for the sake of your
particular application.

I think that your efforts here might be more productively directed
towards improving the Hibernate postgresql implementation so that it
avoids using get/setClob() entirely.

Oliver