Re: PostgreSQL For Beginners - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andy Colson
Subject Re: PostgreSQL For Beginners
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2/3/2011 8:40 AM, Kenneth Buckler wrote:
> One of the programmers I work with is interested in migrating from
> Oracle to PostgreSQL as the backend for his applications.
>
> Is there a PostgreSQL "beginners" guide available somewhere, which
> might help him understand setting up a test database on his Windows
> system?
>
> I may also be performing a 30-60 minute presentation to several of the
> developers as a "introduction" to PostgreSQL.  Any suggestions on what
> I should cover in this presentation?
>
> Topics I've considered so far are the following:
>
> Designing databases with security in mind
> Creating your first PostgreSQL Database
> Understanding Roles and host-based authentication
> Understanding permissions
> Creating a table
> Writing procedures
>

> Please keep in mind my primary focus is database security, so if I've
> left out something a beginner should know that is glaringly obvious,
> be kind!
> I'm going to try not to include information such as configuring WAL or
> the error log, as I will be configuring these settings once PostgreSQL
> is installed.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Ken

Well, one question though, if they already use Oracle... shouldnt they
already know a bunch of that stuff?  Some syntax might be a little
different, but "Designing databases with security in mind" seems generic
enough that it would apply to any database.

"Creating your first PostgreSQL Database" sounds more like "Fisher price
-- My first database" to me.  Unless these are hard core programmers
that never touch sql, they might be insulted.

"Creating a table" is 95% the same as Oracle.

Really, I think the question should be "how much generic sql do they
need to learn", and "how is PG different from Oracle"

As for security, again, 95% is the same... sql injection works the same
on all databases.  If they know how to avoid it in Oracle, then "how is
PG different from Oracle" should teach them everything they need to
avoid it in PG.

All of this, of course, assumes your programmers have a decent amount of
Oracle knowledge.  If not, you should ignore this email.  (Actually, you
might want to just ignore it anyway :-) )

Also, (while you are ignoring this email) when you present Stored Procs,
tell them they can write in Perl.  If they don't cheer then fire them! :-)

-Andy