Re: Exhaustive list of what takes what locks - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Exhaustive list of what takes what locks
Date
List pgsql-performance
Nikolas Everett wrote:
> Is there an exhaustive list of what takes what locks and how long they
> last?  I'm asking because we just had some trouble doing a hot db
> change to an 8.3.6 system.  I know it is an old version but it is what
> I have to work with.

There haven't been any major changes in this area since then, it
wouldn't really matter if you were on a newer version.  The short answer
to your question is that no, there is no such list.  The documentation
at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/explicit-locking.html
and
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/view-pg-locks.html
are unfortunately as good as it gets right now.  The subject is a bit
more complicated even than it appears at first, given that you don't
just need to take into account what statement is executing.  You need to
know things like whether any foreign keys are involved as well as what
index type is used (see
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/locking-indexes.html
) to fully predict what the locking situation for your SQL is going to
become.  It's a fairly big grid of things to take into account.