Re: REVIEW: ALTER TABLE ... ADD FOREIGN KEY ... NOT ENFORCED - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marko Tiikkaja
Subject Re: REVIEW: ALTER TABLE ... ADD FOREIGN KEY ... NOT ENFORCED
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 1/23/2011 8:23 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-01-23 at 19:50 +0200, Marko Tiikkaja wrote:
>> Another problem I found is that psql doesn't indicate in any way that a
>> FOREIGN KEY constraint is not validated yet.
>
> Should it?
> What command do you think needs changing?

\d table now only shows that there's a FOREIGN KEY, which might lead the
user to think that there should not be any values that don't exist in
the referenced table.

>> I also think that having the function for getting a list of values that
>> violate the constraint would be helpful.  Any particular reason why you
>> decided to omit it from this patch?
>
> Yes, the consensus was that DDL was required, not a function. Function
> was my preferred approach originally.

While I do agree that the DDL command should be the preferred way to
validate the constraint, I think the function adds a significant value
when the validation does not succeed.

> That now appears to be an additional request from a couple of people. At
> present, its easy enough to write the SQL statement yourself, so that's
> non-essential, and maybe/likely won't make this release (not sure,
> depends upon how other aspects go).

I understand.

> There is no option to invoke this yet from pg_restore, which seems
> likely to top the list of priorities. Would you agree?

I don't understand what you mean with this.  Could you be a bit more
elaborate?

Regards,
Marko Tiikkaja