Re: Perl 5.12 complains about ecpg parser-hacking scripts - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Perl 5.12 complains about ecpg parser-hacking scripts
Date
Re: Perl 5.12 complains about ecpg parser-hacking scripts  (Michael Meskes <meskes@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-hackers

On 01/22/2011 06:06 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> On Fedora 14 I see these warnings while building ecpg's preproc.y:
>
> Use of assignment to $[ is deprecated at ./parse.pl line 21.
> Use of assignment to $[ is deprecated at ./check_rules.pl line 18.
>
> Any Perl experts want to make those go away?

I think these really need to be rewritten from scratch. They look like
they were written by someone who never heard of Perl 5 (it's only about
16 years old).

We could probably silence the warnings by putting:
   use warnings; no warnings qw(deprecate);

at the top of the file, but that would be rather like putting a bandaid
on a massive chest wound.

cheers

andrew