Re: auto-sizing wal_buffers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: auto-sizing wal_buffers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Fujii Masao wrote:
> +/* Minimum setting used for a lower bound on wal_buffers */
> +#define XLOG_BUFFER_MIN            4
>
> Why didn't you use XLOG_BUFFER_MIN instead of XLOGbuffersMin?
> XLOG_BUFFER_MIN is not used anywhere for now.

That's a typo; will fix.

> +        if (XLOGbuffers < (XLOGbuffersMin * 2))
> +            XLOGbuffers = XLOGbuffersMin * 2;
>
> Why is the minimum value 64kB only when wal_buffers is set to
> -1? This seems confusing for users.

That's because the current default on older versions is 64kB.  Since the
automatic selection is going to be the new default, I hope, I don't want
it to be possible it will pick a number smaller than the default of
older versions.  So the automatic lower limit is 64kB, while the actual
manually set lower limit remains 32kB, as before.